Re. bird songs

Subject: Re. bird songs
From: "deer2me22002" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:33:13 -0000
  Hi everyone,

  Just back from my trip and will be gone again in the morning for
some more field tests. I read the messages on speakers & projecting
sound.I managed to get that strange call recorded on my MZ-R30
minidisc,and had it put on a cd for playback. I climbed a tree to
keep my silhouette away from the deer, and played it back with a
camcorder in hand to record on video, if anything happened. This went
on for two days,with no sightings. A call was made and i picked up
the camcorder and recorded it from the mike in the camcorder,than i
put this call on a cd and played it back on the same system & from
the same tree. A deer walked out into the open and stayed for a few
moments looking up towards the speakers. The next day i move to a
different location and a new tree. Two deer walked right up to the
speakers and they where watching me film them at the same time. They
seemed very at ease with me there as long as the call was playing. I
shut the call off and they walked away immmediately. To my ears the
minidisc call seemed a lot better and clear of the humming of the
camcorder, but it did not seem to bother the deer. I know that deer's
hearing is a way different than birds, but both times the same
speaker system was used. So like i stated, i am off for some more
field tests.

                                                John E Parks