Re: Re: Portadisc / Microphones /Walt

Subject: Re: Re: Portadisc / Microphones /Walt
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 00:21:44 -0800
Walt, you wrote,

>It
>would probably be kind of hard to do a drawing that was true pickup
>distance that looked like much, however.

Well, absolute distance has nothing to do with it, it's about ratios.

Sennheiser published very nice 3-D drawings of pickup patterns in the
introductory chapter of their annual "Micro Revue" catalog. I think
they discontinued that publication a few years ago. Up to and
including 1985, polar plots shown for their mikes used a linear
scale. In 1986 they changed their polar plots to a log scale. I'm
sure this was for uniformity with the rest of the industry; too bad,
because the linear polar plots were more accurate, in that they
showed the actual shape of the pattern in space.

-Dan Dugan