Re: Info for recording newbies (was: Cool Edit Users)

Subject: Re: Info for recording newbies (was: Cool Edit Users)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:35:56 -0500
Syd Curtis wrote:

>>From: Dan Dugan <>
>

>>It's customary to call any computer running sound editing software a
>>DAW. It isn't pretentious, just common.
>>
>>-Dan Dugan
>>

> Sorry Dan, but I have to differ.  "Uncommon," I would say.  I've been
> recording wildlife sounds since 1968, and using computers since about '86.
> I lack the the technical knowledge fully to follow everything you experts
> discuss, but at least I've heard of what you are are talking about and
> follow the general drift.  It is uncommon for something to be mentioned that
> I haven't at least heard of.
>
> In fact, DAW may be the first.

In the area of music recording it's a bit more common to hear it. I
heard the term some time back. And it originally was a sort of
computerized mixing board, at least the first I saw. It grew from there
into a mixing console with considerable sound processing capability. The
core of a full sound studio in many cases. Capable of handling large
numbers of inputs and recording devices.

In the music area you can now have folks referring to their DAW, and all
they are talking about is a consumer level desktop computer with a
soundcard in their house, sometimes with no more software than is basic
to Windows, or maybe a mp3 encoder/player added. The other misused term
in this regard is Studio. Which can be little more than a couple
panasonic capsules wired up for stealth "binaural" recording.

If someone mentions doing something on their DAW now, I'm more likely to
get the 2nd picture, not the first. The use of the term DAW in this
regard is recent, I first heard people doing it only this year.

For me I do sound processing on my computer, a G4 Mac. The same one that
processes my digital camera images, does "desktop publishing", all sorts
of graphics, runs the digitizing software for my machine embroidery
(when I'm not doing that on our PC), graphs the progress of my diabetes,
acts as internet server to the rest of the house and which I'm writing
on right now. As well as a whole bunch of other things. It would feel
insulted to be called a DAW. And I don't have a studio, except all the
outdoors.