Re: MKH 105

Subject: Re: MKH 105
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:52:37 -0400
Roger C Boughton wrote:
> Walter K asked:-
>
> Have you had any trouble when pairing them for stereo? Like the
> oscillation I'm getting out of the 110's? They run beautifully single,
> but pair them for stereo and you get oscillation all up and down the
> audio. I've done a awful lot of arcane experiments trying to put in
> effective shielding without curing it.
>
> The answer is no. In the early 80s the MKh110 came on the market at a
> reasonable price 2nd hand, and quite a few members of Wildlife Sound
> Recording Society bought them and the associated powerpacks that had been
> specially made for the 110s requirements from a firm called Electrosound.
> Unfortunately this firm is no longer trading, but their are a number still
> being used, in both mono and stereo rigs, and results obtained are very good.

I wonder if anyone has that power supply, it's circuit, or any other
info about it. All I got out of Sennheiser was this:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/images/Wiring-110.jpg
Seems kind of hard to mess up such a simple circuit. It's very similar
to all their other power supplies.

I've yet to get any kind of info on exactly how you connect in the
"audio compensation" 5 volt battery, what's shown there is not a
circuit. So I've not done that part. Feeding signal through 4.7 mf caps.
The output pin has 5-6 volts DC relative to pin 2. The sheet lists 3
volts, maybe if I build a battery circuit like that and drive the
voltage down, or even just draw it down with a resistor. Just don't have
the info and don't want to kill a mic.

I also left off the zenar, the mics are specd as being happy with a 2
volt range of supply, I've actually found that anything from 5 - 9 volts
runs them just fine. I was unable to locate 8 volt zenar's locally. If
you take the voltage down to 4 volts the oscillation finally dies, but
so does most of the mic sensitivity.

It's clear from what I got that the mics are very good. If I can just
fix whatever the problem is.