Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshopp=

Subject: Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshopp=
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:07:31 -0400
ers

Gianni Pavan wrote:

> I hope these notes may help in facing correctly with the aliasing problem=
s...

I think before we start deciding the Nyquist frequency has something to
do with it that it might be well to consider that I'm talking about the
American Toad, or Southern Toad. Both call with a frequency below 2 kHz.
That would be one sick system to fold to that level, immediately obvious.

As I've noted, it's not aliasing, it's not Nyquist, or bad tweeters or
any of those. Unless human ears have that error. It is, in fact, not a
error at all, many natural sounds include phase interference, in fact
quite a bit of phase interference is common in the natural environment
even with a single call.

Get away from the signal generators, get outside with no equipment and
listen. Or if you insist on equipment, get outside and take your signal
direct off the mic as it picks up the sounds.