Re: balance difference of binaural microphones

Subject: Re: balance difference of binaural microphones
From: "evertveldhuis" <>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:03:37 -0000
--- In  "evertveldhuis" <> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week I bought some binaural microphones (The SP-TFB-2 Sound
> Professionals In-Ear Binaural microphones at
> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?
> category=3D110 )
>
> But there seems to be a balance difference of 6 dB (50%) between
> the left and the right microphone.

Hi,

Just to be fair I would like to let you know that SoundProfessionals
replaced my microphones with new ones that are working perfectly.
I guess the pair I received first were a 'mellon'.

I would also like to qoute myself in an email I send to the company,
just to give credit for those who deserve.

--- start quote: ---

I have tested them in my lab and they had stunning specs! They were
about 0.1 dB matched according to my testsoftware, but I couldn't
test more exact so they might be even better.
Not that I believe my ears can hear that exact, but as a technician
one tends to measure it :)

Then the big test; real recording of sounds. Last night in my bedroom
I was sitting in bed wearing the microphones. I started recording and
could hear my neighbour making some soft noise, one of my two (pussy)
cats started to play just out of sight behind the bedroom door.

After this short soundscene I stopped the recording and put on my
Sennheiser HD25SP headphones (closed type studio headphones). It was
like reliving the same moment again!
I really had to pause the playback to verify if my cat was still
playing, it wasn't; the two cats were now both on my bed. I restarted
the playback and could hear the cat againg playing behind the door...
WOW.

These microphones are very lifelike; they give me a true feeling of
where the sounds are coming from; true three dimensional stereo.

Needless to say I am very pleased with them.

--- end quote ---

Recordings were made with my portable Minidisc Recorder.

Regards Evert