Re: creative jukebox zen recorder

Subject: Re: creative jukebox zen recorder
From: "mqmzl" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:49:59 -0000
This would be good but are you sure the Nomad Zen records,
particularly if your source for the specs is Buy.com? Here's
information posted on the Nomad list from a Creative employee on 9/25:

"I hate to say this, but the Buy.com ad has a number of unfortunate
errors. We have not officially announced the Zen, so I am not free to
discuss the product yet."

None of Creative's Asian sites, where the Zen is apparently now
available, seem to list recording as a feature.

The new firmware updates to the Nomad 3 make it much more useful.
Apparently they worked with someone on the DAT and Laptop-tapers
lists to implement improvements in it's recording features. However,
here's another post from a Creative employee worth noting:

"The gain is implemented digitally as there is no analog hardware
onboard to provide an analog boost.  Users who want maximum dynamic
range are encouraged to use external preamp equipment and leave the
boost setting at 0."

Presumably would work as a good DAT or minidisc replacement now it has
monitoring and level meters and assuming you used a good front-end
such as a Denecke AD-20/Zefiro Inbox (or SP preamp previously
mentioned). Apparently Creative are working on further improvements.