Re: cheap bird microphone

Subject: Re: cheap bird microphone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:11:17 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:
> I am looking for evaluation of this mic I just finished.
> The intended use is outside as both a bird feeder mic and for
> monitoring migrating birds. Critical evaluation by all is appreciated.
> It tests above 40mph winds headon and 15 mph side.
> So far I lost no recording time in 1 hour of rain.
>
> Base cap is 4" pvc, Stainer is 6".
> The total construction cost of this mic is $13.50 US
>
> Any changes would be easiest now before I move on to Proto 2 which
> will be balanced output with a xlr connector.
>
> design preference is to be low freq weak and song bird call range hot.
> Mic element before pzm gain is: Sensitivity -65 db.

You would probably get a bit better PZM gain off the end cap if you
polished off the mold marks. At least it seems like you should.

If you have the ability to do so, placing the mic in a small housing to
provide a gap leading to the mic might help the PZM effect more. As it
sets it's probably mixing regular pickup with PZM.

I'm wondering how this element would compare to something like the
Panasonic WM-61A.

> All jpg downloads are under 200kb. but the mp3 file is 466 kb

You can do better on jpg size by cropping the images, and set them up to
a specific size at 72dpi. They must be higher resolution, come through
giant size in Netscape 7, which is wasting bandwidth.

> A sample recording 6' under a bird feeder with callers about 20'
> away.  An expressway with severe rumble is 1/4 mile away.
> http://home.attbi.com/~richpeet/proto1.mp3

Sounds fairly reasonable, need a lot more variety of recording.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:46 2005
Message: 7