Re: Quick Parabolic

Subject: Re: Quick Parabolic
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:32:05 -0700
Walter Knapp wrote:

>Two photos:
>http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/QuickParabolic1.jpg
>http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/QuickParabolic2.jpg
>
>I did this in about a hour, this is what the drawing I gave below looks
>like. I did not mount the mic inside the end cap, and it's all just
>slipped together (you would want to glue the handle to the T, but
>probably not the rest).  This one is made with 3/4" PVC pipe. The
>reflector is my spare Telinga one, the same design would work with
>others like the one available from Edmond Scientific:
>http://www.scientificsonline.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=2135
>Note the Edmond one is polished for solar cooking, it would have to be
>painted to keep from cooking your mic.

I don't like the look of the tube and the end cap area where the mike
has to be. There is so much obstruction. You want the mike to sit in
a spot where, pointing back toward the reflector, it can see the
whole surface of the reflector without obstruction. I see no reason
for having such a heavy structure there. Imagine something like a
lampshade harp.

-Dan Dugan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:44 2005
Message: 2