Re: Male and Female response to playback

Subject: Re: Male and Female response to playback
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:56:05 -0400
I carefully avoid giving that call when a recorder is running. The Herps
folks have several of these for different frogs, but you will have a
hard time getting them to do it for a recorder. About the only way to
hear these calls is to go out in the field with one of us. Mine for the
Pine Barrens is especially lousy. But every time I've been around one of
the frogs in the right season it gets a instant reply. The one pictured
on my website is one of the suckers. I zeroed in on him in thick brush
by calling to him. Crawling on hands and knees through the brush at
night. I was less than three feet away from him when I spotted him, when
he responded once again. He was right at eye height if you are on your
hands and knees. For such a pretty frog they sure blend in well.

One of the places to hear me calling will be next spring in SW Georgia.
Some sharp ears picked up something in the background from a recording I
made in 1999 in Seminole County. Can't be sure it is or is not, so it's
definitely on my agenda next spring. I'm not too hopeful, I was there,
and the most interesting thing was the hybrid GreenXBarking TF calling
in the foreground. The clip that was passed around to the experts is here:
http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/DNR/99009-15PB.mp3

I did a little filtering to get that. It's not the loud stuff in the
foreground, but the ones out behind (they were much fainter before
filtering, and the irrigation pump much louder) BTW, that was recorded
with my homemade parabolic and a Sony MZ-R30.

Walt