Re: Best Recording device

Subject: Re: Best Recording device
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:31:47 -0400
Neville Recording wrote:

> Walter wrote:
> Choice of mic is as important if not more so than the recorder. And
> likely to cost you more than the recorder. The cheap way in to nature
> recording is to build a parabolic mic. Once a suitable reflector is
> located (at least 20" in dia), a simple Sony tie tac mic will take care
> of the pickup.
>
> I have been asked to give some advice on commercially available reflector=
s (20 in) and mics that are modestly priced and would work with a Sony or s=
harp MD. I am being asked for something less expensive than Telinga that wo=
uld produce a reasonable recording. Sources and prices would be appreciated=
.

The Sony Tie Tac mic I used was a ECM-T145. There are several models of
about that number, my spare mic from that period was a ECM-T140, for
instance. These run in the $50-60 range. I got mine off Ebay, but have
seen them in Best Buy. They have the advantage that they will work with
Plug in Power found in the MD's. So no separate battery to tend.

The reflector I used to recommend was sold off this page:
http://www.amazing1.com/accoustics.htm
But, last time I checked they have a different 20" parabolic and are not
selling the reflector separately.

My own thought is to go with a Telinga spare reflector. These can be had
from Doug:
http://www.naturesongs.com/Telinga.html

He lists the Extra dish at $75. You would then only need to make a
support and handle, the dish has a central hole that's just under 40mm
or just over 1 1/2" depending on which measurement you like. So you
would build a mount that would clamp the dish through the hole. Basing
it on PVC pipe you could put a joint behind to add a piece of pipe
covered with pipe foam for a handle. Out front you would want some sort
of cut away pipe or such like to mount the mic. Then thread the mic cord
through the pipe and out the bottom of the handle and you are in
business. Going that way should work out somewhere around $150.

For those that like work, here's a page on how to go about converting a
flat sheet into a parabolic reflector. Don't know if this would be
precise enough for sound work:
http://solarcooking.org/parabolic-from-flat-sheet.htm

Edmond Scientific has a 24" aluminum reflector for $49.95
http://www.scientificsonline.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=3D21=
35
Just note it's polished aluminum, point it at the sun and your mic in
the focus goes up in smoke. So you would need to paint it with flat
paint or something. And it's pretty thin.

Note they do have smaller sizes, but better to stick with the 24"

I'm sure a troll through the internet will locate more.