Telinga: "Dual Science" vs Stereo

Subject: Telinga: "Dual Science" vs Stereo
From: "Jeremy Martin" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:34:37 -0500
I was wondering if anyone can help me decide which style of mic I would get the
most use out of?

I do plan to be recording some bird songs, but what I was most interested in
were strange bug noises (e.g. siccadas), as well as *anything* else that makes
interesting noises "up close" in the Telinga's focus. Of course ideally I would
have both types of mics to choose from, but do you think I would be better off
with the Dual Science mics, or the Stereo mic?

As I've mentioned in previous messages, I plan to primarily be using these
recordings in my own electronic music. Some of the sounds I record will be used
unchanged much, but a lot will be layered with various synthesizers, heavily
changed by using software plugins, etc. So, a few of the sounds I record might
be used as an interesting stereo "background" for the entire song to go along
with, but the majority of the stuff I record will need to "sit well in the
mix". I probably shouldn't have so many complex stereo things going on that it
confuses people.

So, which would you recommend I buy first?

I'm going to use a Sony MZ-R55 and DIY parabolic mic for this fall/winter.
Before Spring I will have hopefully a) convinced myself I want to buy a
Portadisc and Telinga and stick with this, and b) raised $2500 or so for both
devices. :-)