Re: mp3

Subject: Re: mp3
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:26:13 +0100
Another good reason for doing this with linux is that if you don't need to=

PC to do anything else, a 486 or Pentium 1 machine ( up to around 90mhz )
with 16mb of ram would probably accomplish this quite happily. Doing this
under windows would be impossible using hardware this low powered.
Machines that would do this can be built from parts on ebay for under =A320=
.

Best Wishes

Matt

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe
Kingsbridge House, Padbury Oaks, 575-583 Bath Road, Longford, Middx, UB7
0EH, United Kingdom
+447796610410 - Mobile
+441753686080 - UK Office
+441753686020 - Fax

2002-09-04 09:22
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        Re: [Nature Recordists] mp3
        Classification:

you could also set the script to start a new file very 650MB, which would
then give you file chunks which you could set up another automated script
to burn to CDR.

Best Wishes

Matt

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe
Kingsbridge House, Padbury Oaks, 575-583 Bath Road, Longford, Middx, UB7
0EH, United Kingdom
+447796610410 - Mobile
+441753686080 - UK Office
+441753686020 - Fax

2002-09-04 09:08
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)
        Classification:

This is all possible for free using linux. Use LAME as the encoder, and
write some perl or bash scripting to feed the input of the sound card
directly to the encoder. This can also run as an automated cron job so if
the machine has to be rebooted it will start automatically again. I had a
similar setup running to batch convert CD's to MP3, running like an
automated toaster, you feed it the CD's it rips them and spits them out.
The code base is probably very similar, except the script would need to be=

setup to read directly from the sound card rather than from the CD drive.
You could try posting this request to the Ask Slashdot section of
www.slashdot.org, there are usually several suggestions on how to
accomplish this type of thing.

Best Wishes

Matt

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe
Kingsbridge House, Padbury Oaks, 575-583 Bath Road, Longford, Middx, UB7
0EH, United Kingdom
+447796610410 - Mobile
+441753686080 - UK Office
+441753686020 - Fax

"richpeet" <>
2002-09-04 03:59
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        [Nature Recordists] mp3
        Classification:

my current project. one of too many currently in the works.
It involves mp3 sound compression of an ambience source.

I wish to find a small program file, prefer cheap but understand mp3
comes with royalty fees.  I want to record direct to a computer by of
the sound board direct to a mp3 file.  I would prefer to have the
flexibility to set the bandpass, sample rate, and bit rate, maybe
vbr, within this mp3.  To make it more specific I want to set a time
record on, and time off, and expect a max file of 12 hours.  And to
dream a bit more, want this file burned to cd-r when record clicks
off.  And if burning is a dream how about mirrored to a Ftp: site.

So knowing that this does not exsist right now without an advanced
macro within cooledit and a computer with RAID, all budgeted at 2,000
per record site, is there a simle cheap program that I can use for
timed recording direct to vbr mp3's currently on the market and
handle the rest with volunteer people?

rich peet
as i expand what i know, so shall i expand what i wish.