Re: mp3

Subject: Re: mp3
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 01:35:17 -0400
richpeet wrote:

> my current project. one of too many currently in the works.
> It involves mp3 sound compression of an ambience source.
>
> I wish to find a small program file, prefer cheap but understand mp3
> comes with royalty fees.  I want to record direct to a computer by of
> the sound board direct to a mp3 file.  I would prefer to have the
> flexibility to set the bandpass, sample rate, and bit rate, maybe
> vbr, within this mp3.  To make it more specific I want to set a time
> record on, and time off, and expect a max file of 12 hours.  And to
> dream a bit more, want this file burned to cd-r when record clicks
> off.  And if burning is a dream how about mirrored to a Ftp: site.
>
> So knowing that this does not exsist right now without an advanced
> macro within cooledit and a computer with RAID, all budgeted at 2,000
> per record site, is there a simle cheap program that I can use for
> timed recording direct to vbr mp3's currently on the market and
> handle the rest with volunteer people?

Most of my mac mp3 encoders will record direct to mp3 from the sound
inputs. And they record at the current default settings, so you could
set what you wanted.

These could be run via a applescript to handle the timing and cd-r
recording, though if you wanted more than one cd-r unattended you'd have
to have a fancy autoloading burner, such things exist, but are not
cheap. Basing the kit on a computer is the expensive way to go about it.

I suppose what I'm curious about is why? Recording continuously means
you have to listen to all that stuff. In most cases automated systems
are set up to sample from time to time, the traditional Dorcas
Froglogger does this. But there are much fancier toys that can be set to
record when a certain frequency call occurs at a preset sound intensity
in a specified time period and such like:
http://www.titley.com.au/ecopro.htm
I don't know much about the Eco-Pro, would love to play with one. And I
think there are others. But, it plus a inexpensive recorder and mic
would fit your price range.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:42 2005
Message: 2