Re: back up on audio CDR (warning: long)(was:beginners question)

Subject: Re: back up on audio CDR (warning: long)(was:beginners question)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:23:06 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:

> Walt, you commented,
>
> >As I noted I've not seen a problem with the new dyes, maybe because I'm
> >not easily seduced by fast burning times. And I stick with top brand med=
ia.

> You're lucky. I stick with top brand media, too. But since I check RF
> levels, I've seen a change. If you like, send me a sample you burned
> several years ago, and one from now. Same brand if you have 'em. I'll
> read the modulation levels and report here.
>
> BTW, I'm getting best levels on my Yamaha with Yamaha discs.

I use Fuji or Sony disks, but the ones I used a few years ago seem no
longer in production, probably what you are talking about. I don't doubt
you on changes in levels, I don't check levels as I don't have the
equipment for that, but depend on what I find listening for the most
part and any reports from others who have CD's I've burned. So far I've
not had to go to the audio CD's for masters as, of course, my optical
copies are just fine. I had been planning on duplicating off the optical
set of aiff files onto CD-R, but you've got me wondering about that. I
certainly won't be dropping optical as long as I can still run them.

I've actually had no failure of any disk I've burned. Not even when
burning it. I must lead a charmed life. Oldest disk I have around here
would be burned in 1998, I believe. That's a fairly dark green coating
Fuji, Sony's of the same period were a lighter green. Current Fuji is
about the same color as the older Sony's.

The other problem in checking is I've changed burners about two years
ago. The old one was Yamaha, with a top burn speed of 4X, the new one
same brand is a 8X8X24 CDRW. I'm still burning the important stuff at
4X, however. Less important I'll sometimes do at 6X, and have only
burned a couple at 8X.

Have you found any difference between the 650 meg disks and the newer
700 meg disks? Most recent batch I got were Fuji 700meg, and so far I've
not had any problems. The 700's seem to be getting more and more common.

I did have some older Sony disks that developed fine spiderweb patterns
on them. They were all unburned blanks that had sat around here a while.
Stuff burned on the same blanks seems ok and has not done that.

Do you have any data on DVD-R media? I'm probably going to be
transferring a bunch of old videotapes to that pretty soon, most of our
stuff is on beta and I need to get it off while the machines are still
good. Nothing original there, just old TV shows we liked. We've been
looking into that this week, the new G4 here has the burner for that
sort of thing.