back up on audio CDR (warning: long) (was: beginners question)

Subject: back up on audio CDR (warning: long) (was: beginners question)
From: "evertveldhuis" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:35:43 -0000
> Since CD audio is the same uncompressed audio, why do you not
consider
> it backup? It can be pulled back into the computer with no loss.

Walt,

On some other forum or website (don't remember which one) I found out
that although the actual sounds are not altered (compressed) there is
one serious 'problem': the computer stores the wav file, and any
other file for that matter, in a certain amounts of blocks.
Typically these blocks are 4 kB (I am telling this out of my poor
memory so the figure 4 might be wrong.)

When the wav file is burned to an audio CD format the blocks files
get another standard size, and that is why it is to my strict
standard no longer a back-up since the original form of the data (in
this case the blockfile size) has been changed.
There could be mistakes which are unaudible, but after resizing
againg from CD audio to WAV there is HUGE potential for loss of
information.

If you ever tried to rip audio CD's with progrock - where there are
no pauses between tracks, but the music just keeps on going, just
like a live recording - you will often get problems at the beginning
of each track.

I fully realise that this is a problem that only occurs under certain
circumstances that do not occur often. But still, there is an audible
difference, so for me it is not a back up, it has become a dead-end
user product.

A bit off topic now:
It is the same reason why bands do not - just copy that consumser CD
1000 times - but use the master tape (or master optical disc).

For instance a wonderful band called Iona recently re-released their
first 4 albums, but they did not make the new release out of an
easily available consumer CD, but instead had to go back to the
original masters.

Those masters were analog multitrack tapes.
The tapes were so old they had to be baked again (yes: baked in a
special oven) then they were transferred to the computer where they
were digitally re-pitched to concert A, because the original
masterrecorder was a bit off pitch (machine was running slow).
Why would a band go through all this trouble instead of just ripping
the CD that was released a few years ago and just copy it a few
thousand times? Because a ripped CD will not be the same as the
original, partly because of the blockfile size matter and also due to
possible errors during ripping: the CD could be slightly damaged and
thus you 'copy' the mistakes too.

All this makes me and others state that an audio CD is not a back up.

Regards, Evert

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:41 2005
Message: 13