Re: GPS altitude

Subject: Re: GPS altitude
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:48:22 -0400
Jim Morgan wrote:

> This is from a post I made last spring:
>
> Gamin ETREX GPS altitude test summary:
>
> At ocean sea level measured 3 times  off -10 feet each time
>
> 6000-foot marker of unknown accuracy, off +10 feet
>
> 3468 foot bench mark, after stabilizing for 5 minutes the difference was
> between +- 10 feet.

It's important to use the averaging system if you are picky about the numbers.

> >From these tests I conclude that the accuracy in altitude measurement is
> far more than I require.

My conclusions as well. My older 12XL was not as good, but reasonable.
I'm looking into getting a new handheld, but have been holding off for a
model that will use the same memory modules as my car's StreetPilot III.
The maps have me really spoiled.