Recording like photography

Subject: Recording like photography
From: "Roger C Boughton" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:54:33 +0100
Dear all,

I agree with what Walter and others have written.  The best recordings are
those that were captured at the time of recording in the field.  Time is best
spent learning your subject, getting to know its habitat, having the best
possible kit, particularly microphones, and being patient.

My particular interest is in soundscapes, and binaural ones to boot, I have
produced only one CD so far, and that probably reflects the time it takes to
get recordings that I think are fit for publication. Very little editing needs
to be done if you have a good recording, it just takes a hell of a time to get
it in the first place.

If, on the other hand, you are just recording for species identification
purposes, editing of poorer quality recordings is not only acceptable but
probably essential, if some rarer vocalisation is to be understood.

By the way, who out there has made that "perfect recording", and if they have
!!!  what was it.

Regards

Roger C Boughton