Re: Media Options in Explorer 6

Subject: Re: Media Options in Explorer 6
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:54:20 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:

> I have been unable, for the life of me, to get machines using Internet
> Explorer 6 to play media files from my web pages in CoolEdit, as they
> always did before. Now everything goes through Windows Media Player, which
> plays them as it buffers them, so they're chopped up, etc. They finally
> play correctly, but I don't want to use Media Player. I can reset the
> browser options so that Media Player isn't used at all, but then the only
> option available when I click on a .wav file link (such as my pages use) is
> to save the file to disk - the "Play" option is now "grayed out". Has
> anyone solved this problem, or is it no longer possible in Explorer 6+ to
> use your own program to open sound files in a web page?

I believe that Quicktime 6 will work just fine with it. There's a
browser plugin, which should be in the free player package for windows.
At least it's in the mac package, though we get the whole thing as part
of our OS. I use Quicktime for all online sound playing in my browser
(except for real audio) and it plays smooth.

Not the same as doing it in CoolEdit, but you may like it better.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Good luck with the spyware.