Re: AT822 Microphone Noise Floor

Subject: Re: AT822 Microphone Noise Floor
From: "bbystrek" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:12:58 -0000
Walter,

Do microphone manufacturers ever already have (or perhaps be willing
to provide as "typical" data) test data for mics at low SPLs?  I
guess what's really important would be frequency response and
sensitivity which would be different than the published numbers at
much higher music and voice levels.

I suspect frequency response characteristics under low amplitude is
what leads people to talk about a mic's "reach" of far sounds
relative to near sounds.  It would see to me that other than
directional aspects, a different mic placed into the same
environment, would react simply to the distance squared.  It seems
the definitive measure would be SNR at an appropriate reference level
somewhere between the near and far sound pressure level.  Perhaps
frequency response further adds to the mystery as "reach" probably is
prone to frequency response affects when we operate near the lower
end of the sensitivity range.

Another mic question - does the noise floor change characteristics
(contribution) from quiet levels, with no input, all the way up to
maximum SPL rating?  I'm sort of guessing anything could happen under
dynamic situations as the various sections of the amplifier circuitry
move through their operating ranges.  I guess an interesting test
might be to ramp a pure tone, say 1kHz, from barely audible up to
some large value.  Then take a look at the spectrum relative to the
noise floor at various points along the ramp.  I might just try to
set this up.  I have a sort of old Tektronix AM700 audio
generator/analyzer, but I'm not sure how much noise contribution
would come from the audio amplifier and speaker.  Probably might
still be able to provide valid side by side comparisons.

Brian Bystrek

http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT822.html

> [...]
> absolute noise floor for the mic. For instance a good estimate of
the
> AT822 would be that it's inherent noise is equivalent to 96-70 or
26dB.
> That's only a estimate remember, as mics vary quite a bit under
> different conditions. So, the mic will drown out any environment
that's
> at 26dB or below, real quiet places. But it will be noticeable well
> above that as it will restrict the dynamic range from your
environment.
> Say you are out where the area is 46dB, not a uncommon level in
natural
> areas, then the usable signal will have a dynamic range of 20dB,
and you
> will certainly hear the mics noise in the quieter parts. And any
> amplification raises that noise floor in absolute sound level,
which can
> quickly overwhelm anything unless the mic is very low noise. Anyway
> that's a simplistic explanation that does not take into account mic
sensitivity.

> Obviously sensitivity does help in that it can raise that ratio
> sometimes. But for quiet nature recording, that noise floor is the
one
> that's more noticeable. Note that the actual dynamic range we deal
with
> in nature recording is usually not all that high. Even with loud
frogs
> fairly close I'll rarely measure above 90dB peaks with my noise
meter,
> then when you account for the noise floor of the mic that might be
a max
> dynamic range of 70 or 80 dB at best. Most real situations are half
that
> or even less.
>
> Manufacturers and their specifications usually assume that you are
> recording relatively loud noises. Performance on quiet noises may
or may
> not relate. And in addition, each manufacturer seems to test mics
> differently and choose different specs, so it's hard to get more
than a
> general idea from mic specs if trying to compare. I usually try to
> estimate how noisy a mic is from the specs and only pay mild
attention
> to the sensitivity. If there's a frequency response curve I like to
look
> at that too.
>
> > Another reason I'm asking about noise - I'm thinking of getting
into
> > one of the more robust stereo imaging techniques like M-S or
> > boundry.
>
> To do these well does require a fair investment in mics. Worth a
bunch
> of study. The group archives have a lot on this sort of thing,
> particularly discussions of the SASS setup and how to modify it.
I'm in