An idea to be encouraged.

Subject: An idea to be encouraged.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:40:26 -0400
I've been carrying on a discussion via email with John Rich of the
Congaree Swamp National Monument in South Carolina. I mentioned the idea
of access at night for recording and got this reply:

"As for park hours we have what we think is a workable alternative. The
normal Visitor Center operating hours are 8:30AM-5PM daily except
Christmas. However, anyone can park their vehicle in our after-hours
parking lot and access the trail system via a .5 mile connector trail.
Also, the two canoe/kayak access points are available anytime, no
restrictions. For visitors staying overnight we ask you come by the Visitor
Center and get a free backcountry permit. It doesn't seem we as iron-clad
as other parks and refuges you've visited."

Compared to Georgia's Okefenokee, this is a breath of fresh air and very
welcome. We need to point out to more parks just how simple night access
can be. The above is a little piece of ammo to use.

Here's the park's website:
http://www.nps.gov/cosw/home.htm

Just thought some might like to know this. I certainly will be taking
advantage of it, it's relatively close for me. About 20 miles southeast
of Columbia, South Carolina. Nearest freeway would be I-26, about 6-7
miles away, could be a nice quiet area. There's a fair sized trail
system and lots of waterway to explore.