Re: Re: mini-phone plugs

Subject: Re: Re: mini-phone plugs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:25:18 -0400
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Thanks, I agree, but it will add the weight of four XLR-plugs, some 200g,
> I'm afraid.

It's only worthwhile going to XLR if your mics require it. And even then
it's probably better to make up your mic cable with the miniplug at the
recorder end. The XLR's would outweigh the walkman MD.

I have to do the opposite, since the Portadisc has XLR inputs I've had
to make a adapter to hook up the mini-phone plug equipped Telinga:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/plug.jpg
As I had room, I put a 5 pin stereo XLR jack on the adapter too. And a
pair of the micro-phone jacks as well as I have some underwater mics
that have that plug. I found it was harder to get a good, panel mount,
gold plated mini-phone jack than to get the equivalent plug.