Stereo to mono with Peak. (RFI)

Subject: Stereo to mono with Peak. (RFI)
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:36:22 +1000
I pose a question to the ever-helpful Walter Knapp, who I know uses Peak on
a Mac computer, but I'm posting it to naturerecordists in case the answer is
of interest to anyone else.

Walter, I record with a Tascam DAT (DA-P1) with the signal from a single mic
(usually a vintage Sennheiser ME20) fed via a Y-patch cord to both channels.
On my Mac computer, Peak LE regards the 'digital out' from the Tascam as a
stereo signal and makes a pseudo-stereo AIFF file.  I don't like making
pretend stereo recordings, and in any case it uses twice as much computer
memory or CD space for no good purpose.  (I think!)

Therefore I immediately copy one track into a mono file and discard the
false stereo file.  It is with this copying to mono that my query arises.

Peak allows me to select and copy the whole 'stereo' file.   Then when I go
to paste the copy into a new mono file, I get a window, "Stereo to Mono
Conversion", with this advice:

    "You are using a stereo clipping in a mono audio document.  Choose the
left vs. the right level of the stereo sample to use."

The window displays a horizontal bar with graduations and a 'slider' that is
moved with the mouse.  A box labelled "%", shows the effect, ranging from
"-100%" with the slider on the extreme left, to "+100%", extreme right.
Extreme left appears to copy the upper track of the AIFF stereo file as
displayed by Peak; and right, the lower.

Walter, my query is this: am I justified in my thinking that copying one
track of my Tascam recording gives just as much information as copying both
(assuming the same recording level on both), and that my final mono AIFF
file contains the same digital information and is therefore satisfactory for
archiving the recording?

TIA

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia

PS.  Sorry to hear of your lightning-zapped equipment.  At least you have
the technical knowledge to cope, and insurance cover.  I have neither - nor
any surge protection.  My protection is my wife's acute hearing: she warns
me of the first distant rumble of thunder, and I disconnect the computer
from the power supply.  (The modem is only connected to the phone line when
I'm using it.)  Sometimes it's most frustrating having to switch my computer
off, and I'm tempted to take a chance and keep going.  Your experience is a
salutary warning for me!