Re: Stereo to mono with Peak. (RFI)

Subject: Re: Stereo to mono with Peak. (RFI)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:59:33 -0400
Syd Curtis wrote:

> I pose a question to the ever-helpful Walter Knapp, who I know uses Peak on
> a Mac computer, but I'm posting it to naturerecordists in case the answer is
> of interest to anyone else.
>
> Walter, I record with a Tascam DAT (DA-P1) with the signal from a single mic
> (usually a vintage Sennheiser ME20) fed via a Y-patch cord to both channels.
> On my Mac computer, Peak LE regards the 'digital out' from the Tascam as a
> stereo signal and makes a pseudo-stereo AIFF file.  I don't like making
> pretend stereo recordings, and in any case it uses twice as much computer
> memory or CD space for no good purpose.  (I think!)

Correct, you only need to save a mono file if that's how it was
recorded. It takes half the space.

Do note that writing that file to a audio CD it will be converted back
to two channels. The audio CD format only allows stereo. Normally the
writing software takes care of that just fine.

>     "You are using a stereo clipping in a mono audio document.  Choose the
> left vs. the right level of the stereo sample to use."
>
> The window displays a horizontal bar with graduations and a 'slider' that is
> moved with the mouse.  A box labelled "%", shows the effect, ranging from
> "-100%" with the slider on the extreme left, to "+100%", extreme right.
> Extreme left appears to copy the upper track of the AIFF stereo file as
> displayed by Peak; and right, the lower.

Yes, this is a mix control where you can decide how much of each channel
you want in the mix.

> Walter, my query is this: am I justified in my thinking that copying one
> track of my Tascam recording gives just as much information as copying both
> (assuming the same recording level on both), and that my final mono AIFF
> file contains the same digital information and is therefore satisfactory for
> archiving the recording?

It is satisfactory, but you don't have to go to that kind of trouble. I
use the full peak program, but I'm pretty sure Peak LE can do this too.
In the peak recording settings dialog choose "device and sample format"
and then "sample" and you can set peak to record in mono. It will then
mix both channels to mono automatically and give you a mono file to
start with.

If you already have one of your mono files in stereo form, if you choose
export dual mono in the file menu it will split off and save each
channel as a mono file automatically. No new files or copy/paste needed.

> PS.  Sorry to hear of your lightning-zapped equipment.  At least you have
> the technical knowledge to cope, and insurance cover.  I have neither - nor
> any surge protection.  My protection is my wife's acute hearing: she warns
> me of the first distant rumble of thunder, and I disconnect the computer
> from the power supply.  (The modem is only connected to the phone line when
> I'm using it.)  Sometimes it's most frustrating having to switch my computer
> off, and I'm tempted to take a chance and keep going.  Your experience is a
> salutary warning for me!

Unfortunately, thunderstorms are so common here that stopping for every
one is a very big hassle and unplugging everything is a major job with
several computers linked by a lan. The flip side of this is that the
insurance expects to have claims and there is no hassle from them. I've
put in quite a bit of protection, I figure I could buy a good computer
for the money I've put into the protection equipment over the years. A
really strong storm headed right at us and we do start disconnecting
certain links we know to be most vulnerable. I was pretty well protected
this time but had neglected a couple technical points. Those are now
plugged by some rewiring and yet another layer of surge protection ($180
for all the bits).

I'm averaging 5 years between losses, so can't complain too much.