CVX vs ME-62 mic comparison

Subject: CVX vs ME-62 mic comparison
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:19:01 -0700
I've posted a stereo MP3 sample of a comparison between River Forks' CVX
mic and Sennheiser's ME-62 at
http://www.naturesongs.com/recordists/CVXvsME62-1.mp3. The two mics were
about 1 meter apart in my yard, and they were fed to a mono-mono-stereo "Y"=

cable from Telinga to a Sony MZ-R50 MiniDisc recorder. The ME-62 is on the=

left channel, the CVX on the right.

The immediate difference is that distant sounds (the coyote, the barking
dog, the train) are much louder on the CVX track, whereas the closer sounds=

(small birds, mostly) are louder on the ME-62. Interesting. The CVX is
obviously amplifying distant sounds and the ME-62 is not. I'm unsure why
the closer sounds are not as loud as the ME-62, though. Should I amplify
the CVX track so that the close sounds are the same in both mics to get a
true comparison?

The next test will be ME-62 vs Telinga EM-23.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Digitally Recorded Birds Sounds at:
http://naturesongs.com/birds.html