Call for broadcast: "why do you record?"

Subject: Call for broadcast: "why do you record?"
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Apologies for the short notice, but hopefully at least a few of you will
be able to take me up on this...

Interested in sharing your enthusiasm for recordings on the air?

Next Saturday (May 18) I'm co-hosting a program on a local (south San
Francisco Bay) radio station, KFJC, for four hours on field recordings and
the people who make them.  The show's a special to be called 'the quiet
americans'... (nice, but I didn't name it!)

The emphasis is on people who work with recordings in non-traditional,
non-research ways, e.g. as source material for their artwork -- but that's
not a requirement per se to participate in this part.

What I'm looking for is your recorded monolog, consisting of

  (a) you speaking briefly (no more than 2-3 minutes) about why you
      record -- how did you get interested in field recordings?
      Was it a particular thing you heard, or gradual?  Academic?

  (b) you discussing a favorite recording you've made (for a minute or
      two)

and finally, as a seperate track,

  (c) that recording, or an excerpt (1-10 minutes, best ~3 minutes).

(A fine way to begin would be by giving your name, age, location,
profession, etc. then launching right into whatever you would say to a
curious but not deeply knowledgable old friend, about your interest.)

I'm not interested in professional-sounding voice recording, btw -- any
old microphone and delivery will do, we will compress things up at
broadcast time anyway -- just try to avoid noise if possible.

If anyone has time and inclination to do this -- again, I know this is
really short notice -- please write me back! Mailed CDs would be best of
course, but since time is so short, emailed high-quality MP3s would be
fine too!

Alternately, if you want to just WRITE up a description of the above and
send me a favorite recording, we may be able to use that, too -- the show
is fairly loose at this point.

Also:
-----

I'm also interested in any sharing longer or specific field recordings,
and compositions there-from, -- I'm going to be playing as many people's
work as I can!

Best regards, and again, sorry for the short notice,
aaron

  aaron ximm / quiet american
  964 natoma
  san francisco, ca 94103