Re: Ghille suit

Subject: Re: Ghille suit
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:50:38 -0400
richpeet wrote:

> Greg of this group wrote a great article on recording with a Ghille
> suit.  You are right they are very warm.  That is a good thing up
> here as sitting in one place in spring mornings is not usually a warm
> thing to do.  I don't know how Greg deals with the warmth in the
> desert.
>
> I found Sandhill Cranes are not fooled by it and detect motion by
> anything.  Sparrows and small birds do not even treat me as a life
> form and it is great.
>
> 2 weeks ago I was at a state park recording woodpeckers at a suet
> bird feeder, only 15 feet from a picture window.  An entire bus load
> of about 65 kids then came and were all looking out the window at the
> birds.  Not one of the kids saw me and when I got up and left because
> of the noise they were making, still none saw me leave.
>
> The thing sure does work but I still warn the park rangers that a
> monster from the swamp may be seen recording birds.

A while ago there were mesh t-shirts with large mesh. I've thought about
doing one at times. It would definitely have to have some form of mesh
base here to keep enough air circulation. Right now it's about 80
degrees outside and humidity near max. And a thunderstorm is rumbling.
Just a nice spring day.

I expect the frogs would not be fooled in daylight, though it would be
interesting to try. I wonder what swamp material I'd need on it. Toss a
old algae mat over me or something. My new kayak arrived and it would
not be that hard to hide. The color is called wheat, but it's not that
far from georgia clay or muddy water.

Without even using a Ghille suit I once sat 50 yards in front of a whole
company of army basic trainees. I only had a little camo paint on my
face and hands, and regular fatigues. I was laying behind about a 2'
high scraggly bush which was so open I was virtually in plain view.
After being given 10 minutes worth of increasing activity on my part one
person managed to see me. After I fired a full clip of blanks with my
M-14 that got up to about a dozen. These folks were up on a viewing
stand to look, over 200 of them. The poor guy who got assigned to 250
yards out was all the way out in the open, jumping up and down and
flapping his arms when directed and still not spotted, well except I had
no trouble from the moment he first peeked out from behind his bush.
People are very easy to hide from. I got the job of being target after
they discovered that I almost instantly spotted anybody out there.
Harder to fool a biologist who knows what everything looks like, I
mostly spotted them by color or shadow. It would be interesting to know
how I would have done against a Ghille suit. I expect not as good. The
army folks tried awful hard to talk me into going special forces recon,
I also ace'd their written test for it. I was a medical lab tech, safer
place to be in the Vietnam era.