Re: Ghillie suit

Subject: Re: Ghillie suit
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:02:02 +1000
Walt and All,

Thanks for that great description Walt!  And I've checked out Google too.  =
see now that a Ghillie Suit is a cross between a walking bird hide and a
Yeti.  Hope I never meet one on a dark night!  Might be just the thing
though for Syd Curtis and his Albert Lyrebird research which is done in
mid-winter.  It'd save him having to pack a sleeping bag too.

Vicki Powys
Australia

on 15/5/02 12:27 PM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:

> Vicki Powys wrote:
>
>> I haven't a clue what a Ghille suit is.  Can you enlighten me?
>
> There are such suits you can buy to custom specifications, expensive. I
> believe the name comes from the inventor. They were initially made
> for/by military snipers.
>
> The basic idea is to cover your clothes with things that break up your
> outline, not just a little, but all over. Homemade ones are usually
> based on attaching lots of strips of something like burlap on the
> outside of the clothes and then fraying that. A mix of colors are used
> to match the target environment, so if you go into quite different
> environments you will need several suits. You end up looking like a
> mound of fuzz, leaves, whatever as the full up outfit does both pants
> and shirt, hat/hood, and gloves. I suppose for good measure you'd cover
> your mic too.
>
> You start with some durable clothes, military fatigues, that sort of
> thing. Some glue the strips on with things like silicon putty, some
> attach a layer of netting to the clothes and tie the strips on. Some
> pre-fray the strips, and some do that afterward. Some use just the
> colors they find in fabric stores, some get into dying special colors.
> They tend to be very individualistic.
>
> In use you would then add bits and pieces of vegetation etc. once you
> were out, to improve and localize the design.
>
> If you do a search on Ghille Suit in google or such like you will find
> lots of pages, with pictures. The paintball game crowd use them.
>
> It is probably a good idea to at least warn the local authorities if
> going on public land. A shotgun mic will make you look a lot like a
> sniper with a gun. If you are spotted, that is. Their ability to hide
> you works best when sitting still. A mound of leaves roaming around will
> get your attention.
>
> Walt

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:23 2005
Message: 4