Re: Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3

Subject: Re: Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 01:26:06 -0400
John Campbell wrote:

> >oryoki2000 wrote:
> > >
> > > The new $350 Nomad Jukebox 3 hard disk
> > > recorder/player offers real potential
> > > for use as a field recorder.  This version
> > > adds optical input and 1394/Firewire output
> > > ports, and it's lighter by a few ounces
> > > than its predecessor.
> > >
> > > The optical input would work well with a
> > > portable mic pre-amp like the Deneke AD-20
> > > (~$325), which has XLR mic inputs and
> > > optical output.
> >
> >Building the franken recorder?
>
> This is an allusion I don't understand.  Could you elaborate?  A
> search tells me that:
> "Al Franken is a [US] comedian."  Never heard of him, but maybe
> that's who you're referring to.
> I know about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but I don't think you are
> suggesting that the Nomad is going to destroy its creator - just that
> it might do some damage to your bank balance.

Frankenstein was built from parts. And Nomad is only one part of this
"recorder". Thus Franken recorder. If you still don't get it, don't
worry.

The bank balance may have problems, that's true. By the time all it's
problems are fixed it's going to be fairly expensive.

> Frankly, I haven't had a chance to check out the machine, but I don't
> have a problem with organising cables from mics to pre-amps housed in
> the same bag as the recorder.  In any case (sorry), an external
> pre-amp can produce a better signal, as well as phantom power, so
> it's worth the possible minor irritation.  But optical outputs might
> belong in the grief department perhaps.  Has anyone had any field
> experience with these?

I suppose it depends on when you record. I mostly record out in the dark
of night. Having a bunch of things wired together, even in a bag, is
asking for trouble. In this case the recommended pre has no phantom
power. So that's three things not counting the mics. Actually in my case
it would be 4 because I have two Sennheiser MZA14's for phantom power
rather than a dual channel unit. Note that I have those for some
experiments with digital wireless mics. And, of course I'm not going to
be using the standard wireless mics. That will be a mongrel of a setup
as each channel has it's own equipment. It can be in a box, however as
it's mic end will have to be on a stand.

The optical connection is very sensitive to kinking. It's also not
locking, easily pulled out. Would have to be watched. Speaking of which,
where are the vu meters in Nomad? Does it give any indication that a
signal is being recorded? I'd assume that would be how you would become
aware the optical link was not working.

I'm not sure how sensitive to moisture the optical connection is. I've
only used it inside. Dew or rain would be a problem I'd think if they
got in the connection.

Remember, HHb is coming out with a 8 channel digital HD recorder that's
all in one. Has everything a field recorder should have. For the
majority the Portadisc would more than match their mics as well. It's
just not necessary to use something designed primarily to play mp3's.

Me? I'm putting my money into the mics right now. Someday the dust might
settle and a winner will be declared in the recorder wars. That's not
where I'm limited. For now my limits are where they are for most, the
mics. My recorder does better than the mics. I'm adding MKH series
Sennheisers to go with the Telinga.

Just to complicate it a bit more for me, I have need of carrying and
using the equipment in swamps and such like, as well as in heavy rain.
I'm contemplating making a waterproof enclosure for the portadisc such
that I can run it without opening the enclosure. And the enclosure will
be designed to float. Then I only have to figure out how to protect the
mics. My new kayak is stable enough to contemplate this. Not just
carrying the equipment in the boat, but using it. It's going to be
interesting kayaking out in the dark with the frogs, snakes, alligators,
strange birdcalls, etc.