Travelling with gear (and hello)

Subject: Travelling with gear (and hello)
From: "Scott Shepard" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:46:01 -0800
Hello,

I've been lurking for a month or so here.  Now, of course, I could use some
experienced advice and so am driven out of the shadows.

Anyhow, I'm travelling to Germany (from L.A.) in the morning for a two month
project in southern Bavaria, and I want to bring my recording equipment
(PortaDAT, couple of DPA omnis, etc.) with me so I can do some work on my
masters thesis in my free time (meaning, after the project's over).

Now, I haven't done any international travel since last summer (pre-9/11),
and even if I had I'd like to hear your experience of the best way to pack
my gear and get it there (and back, with maybe a few additions, I hope).  So
what's the best, safest, most expedient way to move this stuff around?  Gear
safety, anti-theft, dealing with the new security world, customs are all
important aspects.  Do I buy pelican cases?  Carry it on?  Check it in
luggage?  Ship it over separate?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Scott Shepard
310-399-6515