Re: Travelling with gear (and hello)

Subject: Re: Travelling with gear (and hello)
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:56:38 -0800
Just returned from Europe last seek, Scott. If your equipment is
small enough, carry it on. In fact, carry everything you are taking
with you and never let it out of your sight. (I often tie it to my
wrist when experiencing vast time changes because I'm tired and
easily distracted after long journeys.) With the size of equipment
now days, I travel to places like Africa for a month with just
carry-on. That way, all my gear and clothes are with me at all times.
Like I tell my lovely wife, if you can't carry it, don't take it.
Just make sure that everything fits into two bags that will fit
either in the overhead compartment of under the seat in front of you.
That's the limit. No exceptions.

As for security/customs, I found it easier and faster in Europe than
in the good ol' USA. On the return home, got through the whole mess
at Heathrow incl. checkin, security and customs, in less than 10
minutes. No problem.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you have the option, fly foreign carriers
rather than American, these days. Reasons: obvious.

Bernie Krause

>Hello,
>
>I've been lurking for a month or so here.  Now, of course, I could use some
>experienced advice and so am driven out of the shadows.
>
>Anyhow, I'm travelling to Germany (from L.A.) in the morning for a two month
>project in southern Bavaria, and I want to bring my recording equipment
>(PortaDAT, couple of DPA omnis, etc.) with me so I can do some work on my
>masters thesis in my free time (meaning, after the project's over).
>
>Now, I haven't done any international travel since last summer (pre-9/11),
>and even if I had I'd like to hear your experience of the best way to pack
>my gear and get it there (and back, with maybe a few additions, I hope).  So
>what's the best, safest, most expedient way to move this stuff around?  Gear
>safety, anti-theft, dealing with the new security world, customs are all
>important aspects.  Do I buy pelican cases?  Carry it on?  Check it in
>luggage?  Ship it over separate?
>
>Thanks in advance for your ideas.
>
>Scott Shepard
>310-399-6515