Unknown Owl

Subject: Unknown Owl
From: "olarte1" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:48:07 -0000
Hello and help, there are two cuts of an owl I recorded last year
while at the colombian amazon. I haven't been able to identify it. It
has a similar voice to Lophostrix cristata but the structure is like
that of Ciccaba virgata !

Please go to: http://www.naturesongs.com/nrfiles.html

Cut No.1- "Karihona owl"  67K , was recorded at aprox. 120 feet
(across a
river).

Cut No.2- "Karihona owl closeup" 48K, after playback and the bird was
at 20 feet aprox. But even then I couldn't see but it's belly.

The bird's pause between calls is about 20 seconds long, both before
and after playback. Both recordings were done with ME62 mic and
Telinga parabola.

The strong humm is a  big waterfall about two miles away. Any advice
as how to filter this humm is also welcome. I use CoolEdit.

Thanks

Luis G. Olarte

Bogota, Colombia

P.S. Karihona owl is the name that I've been calling it!