Re: MS parabolic

Subject: Re: MS parabolic
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:24:03 EST
Walt wrote:

<<What sort of distance do you consider to be medium reach?>>

10 to 30 meters

<<Since the fig8 is not getting the same sort of reflection path as the
parabolic omni, I'm not sure about it being necessary to be same
distance away from the dish. Is it possible this is not a important factor?>>

The distance away from the dish is much less critical than the side-to-side
alignment

<<Note that the use of a omni in a parabolic means it's picking up direct
and reflected sound, the reflected being stronger due to the gain from
the parabolic. But, there must be some interference at some frequencies.
Would it be better to use a more directional mic to eliminate the direct
pickup entirely? Or baffle the omni?>>

Putting a directional mike in a parabolic, for me, eliminates a lot of the
advantages of using the dish in the first place.  Omnis in general have much
less colored sound than directionals, and much lower susceptibility to
handling noise and wind.

<<What sorts of suspension are you using in the two rigs? Especially the
parabolic one. The Telinga I have is easy to handhold. Though I don't
know how I'd mount a figure 8 on it. Since it's stereo to start with,
I've not really gotten into that.>>

Adding the fig8 and holder increases the weight of the rig, and the
susceptibility to handling noise.  For long term quiet support I find the
monopod and tripod options can help a lot.  The MS MKH50/30 pair is in a
Rycote suspension and 5" diameter zeppelin.

<<I'd kind of expect that wind protection is out of the question for the
parabolic outfit, but if not, what did you do for that?>>

The project where I tried the MS parabolic was in an area without a lot of
wind.  The omni would hold up pretty well without more than a foam
screen...the fig8 would be more of a challenge in windy circumstances.  Rain
was also not a big issue on that gig, other than the "rain" of bee feces from
their daily mass-defecation flight to cool the hive!