Re: Thanks and Minidisc

Subject: Re: Thanks and Minidisc
From: "richpeet" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:12:53 -0000
I think that you should look at all the used Sony minidiscs that are
new enough to be using atrac version 4.  I am seeing seldom used
sonys on www.ebay.com in the under $125.00 final bid daily.  For
models, I recommend the Sony in the used machine.  Make very sure the
model has a microphone input because not all of them do. MZ R50, MZ
R55, MZ R90. I just bought a MZ R55 with 0 time on the write laser
for $75.00 delivered.  There are a lot of minidiscs that sat around
and did not get used and are now being sold.  Few people realize that
a Sony Minidisc is keeping track of the total write time on the
laser, you can access this information within the "Service Mode".  I
am seeing too many refurbished "other manufacturers", so I do not
recommend them. Mainly, I don't know enough to recommend them.

I think you would be much better off buying 2 used sony md's than a
new anything right now in the under $500 area.  Since you are comming
to the US, all you need is to arrange a shipping address with someone
here that will forward it to your location as soon as you are in the
US.

--- In  "Chris Sharpe" <> wrote:
> Dear Nature Recordists
>
> By some miracle I just received my first two Nature Recordists
messages in a
> while. Thanks to Doug (I assume) for doing that and sorry to all
for my

> After a few years using a Marantz PMD-222 I am thinking about doing
some
> recording on Minidisc as well. As I will be in the US in a month or
so I
> wanted to make use of the trip to order some equipment - there's
not much
> available at home and prices are prohibitive. Could anyone please
recommend
> the most suitable current Minidisc models for bird recording?
>
> I am sorry if this message duplicates recent postings - if so,
please
> respond direct to me. I know it's also possible to browse through
old
> messages at the Yahoo site, but between my phone lines, and those
Yahoo