Re: 'Pitch' and 'timbre' [was: Help]

Subject: Re: 'Pitch' and 'timbre' [was: Help]
From: John Campbell <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:05:02 +1100
> > Hola amigos y amigas:
> > I need your help. Pitch and tone is the same?.
> >

>Hola Fernando,
>
>One meaning of tone would be 'pitch', but another meaning would be 'timbre=
':
>the quality of sound which distinguishes it from another sound of equal
>pitch and volume.

Correct.  Quoting from "The Audio Dictionary", Glenn D. White:

Pitch of a ... sound is a subjective quality relating to where on a
... scale the sound is perceived to be...  Pitch is related to the
frequency of a sound, but not in a simple way.  In general ... pitch
will increase by one octave if the frequency is doubled.  This is
true for complex sounds which are not too close to the upper or lower
limits of our hearing.

Timbre refers to the ... "tone colour" of a sound.  [It] depends on
many factors, including the strength and number of partials present
... [and the] transients, or "attacks", of a sound.