Telinga EM-23 recordings posted

Subject: Telinga EM-23 recordings posted
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:01:50 -0700
I've just posted the first examples of a recording made with the new
Telinga EM-23 omni microphone. This recording is in no way a scientific
test of the mic, but it does indicate something about the mic's
capabilities. The mic I used is a stock EM-23 with standard windscreen,
using fed plug-in-power from my Sony MZ-R50 MiniDisc recorder. It is
hanging out a hole in my dining room wall (made just for this purpose),
about 10' (3 M) from the feeders in my yard. The main "players" are:
White-crowned Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Mourning Doves, Gila
Woodpeckers, Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches, House Sparrows, Anna's
Hummingbirds, Gambel's Quail, Western Scrub Jay, Common Raven, Abert's
Towhee, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Lesser Goldfinches, Pine
Siskins and others - the "usual suspects" at my feeders these days.

The recordings are at http://www.naturesongs.com/nrfiles.html at the bottom
of the page. These are rather large MP3 files (1 Mb or so each), and they
are 1:31 long. The first is "raw", the second has a 200 Hz, 15dB filter
applied to get rid of some distant road noise.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator