RE: Xylophony

Subject: RE: Xylophony
From: "Brian M. Godfrey" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:26:06 -0800
> ... If burrowing insects, such as the larger Buprestid and
> Cerambycid adults can tunnel a cylindrical straight hole
> through healthy hardwood for 30 cm,
> there MUST be some noises associated with this.

   I think dry hardwood would transmit the sound better than healthy
hardwood, but it does seem like you should be able to hear them to some
extent.  I once called the pest-control guy after hearing something chewing
beneath the floor of my house.  Turned out to be carpenter ants.  They were
quite audible to the unaided human ear.  The wood, of course, was dry, not
wet or green.

--Brian M. Godfrey