Re: Bugs and Syd's problem

Subject: Re: Bugs and Syd's problem
From: Jim Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 05:00:04 -0700
>> At 03:03 PM 12/4/01 -0500, Walt wrote:

>That won't help with the insects hitting it, but should provide another
>layer of vibration dampening.

Bugs can be a real problem and they seem to be attracted to the dish. I
have too many recordings of bugs buzzing around the dish and then slamming
into it. Maybe it's too clear and they don't see it. Anyway they can be a
real nuisance and mess up some otherwise good recordings.

>The question on the discussion at hand is can you rapidly pan with the
>Telinga while recording without picking up extra noise. Syd needs to be
>able to do that. I would expect that a fluid pan head should be able to
>be quiet enough.

A good fluid head would probably work but recording an unseen and moving
bird with a parabolic mic presents numerous problems.

Changes in amplitude can be caused by several conditions that can vary to
an extreme degree.

I have a recording of a pair of Barn Owls flying around a Cottonwood grove
in total darkness that I recorded with the Telinga. I recorded with the
headphones off so I could use my own ears to determine the pointing of the
dish. The birds were producing a continual series of bill clicks that
sounded very much like castanets. The amplitude of the recording varies
quite a bit, but I was lucky, and it sounds fairly natural.

So maybe recording with the headphones off might work or maybe a remote
omnidirectional mic would do it.

Jim