Copying digital recordings

Subject: Copying digital recordings
From: Jeremy Minns <>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:30:00 -0200
I wrote recently about 'clicks' that were appearing when I copied
recordings from my DAT recorder to my computer's hard disk and a number of=

people very kindly offered help. Greg Clark put his finger on the problem
and even found the smoking gun by amplifying a waveform containing a click=

to show that the data point was displaced. The reason was, as Joop
Nijenhuis had pointed out, that my computer was not fast enough to cope
with all it had to do. The solution was to transfer the recordings to the
computer using a DOS utility that came with the sound card instead of a
Windows application. Greg showed me how to do this.

In October there were postings on the difference between analogue and
digital sound and the point was emphasized that when one copies a digital
sound file there is no loss of quality. My experience shows that although
this is theoretically true, if one's equipment is not up to the job it can=

corrupt a sound file.

This episode has highlighted for me the tremendous value of the Nature
Recordists group. I applaud Doug von Gausig for his initiative in starting=

it and his dedication in keeping it going and I would like to thank Greg
Clark publicly for his skill and patience in showing me how to sort out my=

problem.

Jeremy Minns