Sound Blaster

Subject: Sound Blaster
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:07:47 EST
To: Joop Nijenhuis

Dear Joop,

Some time ago you wrote:

>"No, all soundblaster cards are no good, but if you don't
>have anything else...
>Why? Because all soundblaster cards transform the sound to a
>standard
>within the card. So 44.1Khz or 48Khz will not stay that way,
>but altered to the cards
>internal speed. This is for signal in, but also for signal
>out. This manipulation is
>called dithering and that can be heard. Thats why the no if
>you want quality."

Yesterday I was talking to the technical rep. at CoolEditPro and brought this
question up. He uses Sound Blaster and said that as long as you were
transferring data at 44.1, 16 bit this matched the internal speed of the card
and you should not have "dithering." Problems arise when you transfer in from
a higher sampling rate. So, if you are transferring in via coax from DAT
directly to the sound card there should be no dithering. Does this sound
correct?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

John