Re: Two notes

Subject: Re: Two notes
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:33:27 -0700
At 07:49 AM 11/19/2001, you wrote:
>I would like to get information on birds that can sing two notes at the
>same time. Seems there was some discussion of the capability to produce
>more than two notes.
>
>Presently my only reference is the "The Birders Handbook", Ehrlich et al.
>
>On Pg. 373 & 374 they discuss the syrinx and how the two sides of it are
>independently controlled thereby allowing some species to have two separate
>voices. Nothing said about three or more.
>
>I would like to learn more about this interesting phenomena. I will stay
>tuned for all the information that I hope will start pouring in.
>
>Jim Morgan
>Prescott, AZ USA

This is a common facility of the Oscine Passerines, all of which have two
syringes. The example that I use when I give talks on this is the
Clay-colored Robin's "mono-duet", which you can hear at
http://www.naturesongs.com/CRsounds.html#turdi - take a look at the
spectrogram to see that both syringes are operating at the same time.
Thrushes are great at this, but examples abound!

Doug

Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator