mammals-aus

Asian Elephants

To: "mammals - aus" <>
Subject: Asian Elephants
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:14:45 +1000
Recently I was in Thailand and came across the local 'Asian' Elephant.
Typical small eared, and in comparison to the African Elephant, smaller
bodied and seemingly a more sloped back.  However I also came across another
Elephant quite different to the descriptions I have been able to read about
on the various sub-species of the Asian Elephant. It was a bull, and
seemingly about the size of an African Elephant. It had quite large ears and
a more level back. It was in the border area between Thailand and Burma and
from locals I understood that Burmese refugees brought this ssp/sp of
Elephant from Burma into Thailand, and that it originated in the foothills
of the Himalayans. Can anyone help me sorting out the classification of the
'Burma/Himalayan' Elephant, as it seems quite different from the
descriptions I have been able to read on the 'Asian' Elephant?

I can supply a photo of the two 'types' of Elephants upon request.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn

Yahoo! Groups Links