mammals-aus

Feather-tail Glider

To: "Edwin Vella" <>, <>
Subject: Feather-tail Glider
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:29:38 +1000
Re Edwin's query about locations for Feathertail Glider.

Recently on my land in the Capertee Valley, NSW, I was walking around in the camping area by the dam and happened to look down and saw what at first glance looked like a dead mouse. When I picked it up I was surprised to find it was actually a partly-mummified Feathertail Glider. Just beautiful! It has now been immortalised in a drawing by a wildlife artist friend of mine.

Are they often found in box-ironbark woodland? The White Box (E. albens) was flowering at the time. I'd just had the driveway and the grass in the campsite slashed so it's possible it could have come from another site and fallen off the slasher here, though the machinery would only have been used in the local area anyway (Glen Davis area).

Interested to hear comments from those who know more about this species.

Cheers

Carol