mammals-aus

More Top End Mammals

Subject: More Top End Mammals
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:25:07 +1000
I'm sitting at Darwin airport after a week's work trip up here with a bit
of mammal watching squeezed in.

Interesting sightings include

Some nice bats, that Damian Milne caught at Holmes Jungle Park (near Darwin
airport). Including Northern and Pygmy Long-eared Bats and Northern
Pipistrelle (all new for me) and a rather strange looking Gould's Wattled
Bat, a Northern Bentwing, and scores of Broadnosed Bats (either
Scotorepends Sanborni or Sanborni)

A Kimberley Mouse (Pebble Mound mouse) at the Bungle Bungles - Thalie
Patridge is doing a phD there on the ecology of small mammals and fire and
caught one of these. She was also radio tracking one and saw it mating the
night I arrived. They mate in the open apparently, not in the privacy of
their pebble mound!

A Long-haired Rat in the cane fields near Kunnunura (head out of town on
Ivanhoe Road, take a right onto research station road and then bear left at
the Y junction at the end of the road and look in the cane fields around
there).

****************************

I've recently heard that I've got a two year posting to Paris from mid
October so my Australian mammal list will stagnate for a bit I'm sad to
say. But I've started to pretty up my mammalwatching.com website and will
spend some time will I'm in a mammalless Paris to prepare some notes on
where to see many Australian species (if anyone has any feedback on that
site I'd love to hear it).

If anyone wants to update their twitcher's club total then please let me
know. I'll still maintain that list while I'm overseas
and will of course keep subscribing to this one.

cheers

Jon Hall
ACT regional office
ABS