mammals-aus

mammal paradise

Subject: mammal paradise
From: Euan Ritchie <>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:38:20 +1000
Hi All,

Jenny Martin and I have returned from a two month field trip surveying antilopine wallaroo populations across the Northern Territory and Kimberley, and of course along the way we bumped into quite a few interesting critters.

Antilopine Wallaroos - N.T - Pungalina Wilderness Camp, Calvert Hills Station, Nutwood Station, Gimbat area (Kakadu N.P), Manton Dam, Coomalie Farm, Mt. Ringwood Station
                           W.A - Mornington Wildlife Sanctuary, Mt. Elizabeth Station, Glenroy Station
** common wallaroos and agile wallabies were seen in numerous locations**
Short Eared Rock Wallaby - Ubirr (Kakadu N.P)
Monjon - Mitchell Plateau N.P (Surveyor's Pool)
Narbalek - Mitchell Plateau N.P (Falls walk)
Northern Nailtail - Nutwood Station, Mt.Hart Wilderness Camp, Mt. Elizabeth Station.
Rock Ringtail - East Alligator (Kakadu N.P) and Mitchell Plateau N.P (Falls walk)
Brushtail Possum - East Alligator and Mardugal camp ground (Kakadu N.P)
Sugar Glider - Mardugal camp ground (Kakadu N.P)
Scaly Tailed Possum and Golden Backed Tree Rat - Mitchell Plateau N.P (in two trees side by side simultaneoulsy, point blank range for ~1/2 hr, the spot of the trip and I'm sure such luck will never occur again!). Two other brief sightings of scaly tails were seen on the Falls walk.
Brush Tailed Rabbit Rat - Mardugal camp ground (Kakadu N.P)
Black Footed Tree Rat - Mardugal camp ground (Kakadu N.P)
Kimberley Rock Rat - Mitchell Plateau N.P
Common Rock Rat - Mitchell Plateau N.P, Mt.Hart Wilderness camp
Kimberley Mouse - Mitchell Plateau N.P (Falls walk)
Fawn Antechinus - Mardugal camp ground (Kakadu N.P)
Northern Quoll - Mt.Hart Wilderness camp, Mitchell Plateau N.P (falls walk)
Long Tailed Planigale - feeding on a moth on the highway at the Qld/N.T border
Dingos - all over
Golden Bandicoot - Mitchell Plateau N.P (falls walk - feeding in grassy area)

**numerous microbats and fruit bats were also seen, but I am not confident on my identification of microbats at the best of times!

And for those also interested in things which don't have fur, other highlights included: Hooded Parrots (Koolpin Gorge, Kakadu N.P), Gouldian Finches (Mt. Hart Wilderness camp), Thorny Devil (Qld/N.T border - on highway), Painted Finches (Purnululu N.P), Black Grasswren (Mitchell Plateau N.P) and Star Finch (near Wyndham).

Cheers,
Euan

Euan Ritchie - PhD Candidate
The macroecology and conservation of the antilopine wallaroo (Macropus antilopinus)
Mammal Ecology Laboratory (room 152)
School of Tropical Biology
James Cook University
Townsville, Qld 4811 Australia