mammals-aus

Lumholtz's Tree-roos

To: <>
Subject: Lumholtz's Tree-roos
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:59:47 +1000
G'day,
The following is an extract of my latest newsletter.

"

On the 27 June we observed two female Lumholtz?s Tree-kangaroos engaged in riotous behaviour. I believe that it was a mother driving off her offspring. The combatants, which were not known to me, were an adult and sub-adult female, in the 16 to 20 month range. We had heard screaming in the forest and when we tracked it down, there were these two females and the unnamed dominant male from the southern part of my site. The male got no closer than five metres from either of the females and appeared a disinterested spectator.

At first sighting the sub-adult was about four metres from the adult female and one metre higher in the tree on an adjacent branch. It made a slight movement towards the older female which then rushed at it; grabbed it by the hairs of its thigh and shoulder and bit its flanks. We then heard the screams again, confirming their source. After about three seconds the older female released her grip and the screaming stopped. The young one made no attempt to move away. She was grabbed and bitten again for about the same period of time and on being released move off about three metres.

After a period of time greater than one but less than three minutes the adult female moved to the younger one and repeated the treatment. The younger animal tried to escape but was not released. Bites to the flanks were delivered on and off through the struggle. During this time the male moved away without our noticing him go. This time when the young one was released it moved off quickly, up and further into the forest, clambering into another tree. The adult followed close on her heels. We lost sight of then after a short while and did not hear further screaming or crashing in the forest.

Two days later I believe we saw this young female about fifty metres further north. This was north of Amanda?s territory and in an area which I have only seen Rex, the dominant male when on his way to visit his lady friends. There a numerous sections of rainforest on the site where I have seen no tree-kangaroos in the five years I have been spotlighting here and many others where the only sighting has been of a male, presumably in transit. I hope she sets up her territory there beside the track. The musky smell of a male tree-roo was strong in the area of the young female but we could not find Rex. No doubt he had been checking out the new talent.

I have been of the opinion that females drive off their female offspring at about 18 months of age while it is the dominate male which drive off the young males at about 30 months. This strengthens my view."

The young female was seen another two times in Rex's territory but not recently. To see the whole newsletter or to receive it regularly go to the sites below in the signature block.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road
Yungaburra 4884
www.alanswildlifetours.com.au
Phone 07 4095 3784
Int. + 61 7 4095 3784

Alan's Wildlife Tours FREE enewsletter
http://users.qldnet.com.au/~spotlighting/enewsletter.doc

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

  •  Visit your group "mammals-aus" on the web.

     =Unsubscribe

  •  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.