mammals-aus

Cape York Trip

To: <>
Subject: Cape York Trip
From: "Jon Hall" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:42:26 +1000
Thanks everyone on the list for their advice on Cape York mammal spotting.

I got back a week or so ago, after an enjoyable trip from Cairns - Musgrave - Portland Roads (Iron Range) - Coen - Musgrave - Shipton's Flat - Cairns.
The roads were excellent, the weather good and the one disappointment was the tree that jumped out behind my hire car when I was reversing.

Managed to see some nice animals up there though missed a few I'd hoped to find. A summary of the stuff I saw, and the other information I was sent follows. A special thanks to Rohan Clarke, Bruce Thomson, Euan Ritchie, Steve Murphy, Mark Sanders, Chris Clague, Ian Gynther and John Pritchard for all their help and information.

-----------------------------------
Common Spotted Cuscus - was commonly spotted. I saw 2 or 3 of these every night around Iron Range. The main rainforest area I spent time in was near the Claudie River crossing, and around the various campsites - the rainforest camp through to the second Gordon Creek crossing to be precise. The best sighting was two animals in a fruiting cauliferous fig near the Claudie River than Ewan Ritchie mentioned. Went back 2 hours later to find one Cuscus and one large amethystine python which stayed in the tree for three days, presumably to work of its snack.

Barebacked Fruit Bats - were all through the rainforest. I heard lots (their wingbeats are pretty noisy) but got the best views of one in our garden at Portland Roads. There's a big roost of these at bat rocks about 12 nautical miles from Portland Roads apparently.

Cape York Melomys - I saw a few of these in the rainforest at various places.

Cape York Rat - I only saw one of these, and it was messing around at the edge of the Cook's Hut camping area (Ewan saw one at the Cook's Hut campsite too)

Fawn Leafnosed Bat - saw a couple in a mineshaft near the Jack Gordon mine.

There were several Northern Brown Bandicoots in the heathland between the rainforest and Portland Roads, lots of Eastern Horseshoe Bats in the Gordon's Creek camp mine, and a couple of culverts and two Uromys in the forest near Gordon Creek camp. Nice views of a Tubenosed Bat feeding on figs near the Gordon Creek campsite too.

-----------------------------------

I didn't see any

Grey Cuscus, despite trying very hard. THere was consensus that they are sparse all through the area but something you'd eventually come across. THey may be commoner elsewhere in Iron Range. Charlie Roberts (from Shipton's Flat) saw about 5 of these in a week in a more remote area, about 80km from where I was and only 1 or 2 Spotted Cuscuses in the same time.

Cinammon ANtechinus - apparently pretty common through decent rainforest. Best chance is in the breeding season mid-Septmber through mid-October when the males are active in the day and night.

Rufous Spiny Bandicoot - bamboo thickets in the rainforest are one place to look for these I was reliably informed, while the stretch of heath and forest about 1km inland from the Chilli Beach campsite was a hotspot 10 years ago. I spent a bit of time here and saw some bandicoot diggings but they may have been Northern Brown's.

Chestnut Dunnart - always going to be pretty tricky but they have been trapped in the heath between Portland Roads and Iron Range.

Cape York Pipistrelles - I stagwatched at a roost for these near Lockhart River that Steve Murphy had discovered a couple of years ago. The bats appeared to have moved on. But a couple of groups of sheathtails emerged from nearby melaluecas. Steve had found a roost of the very rare Bare-rumped Sheathtails in the same area so I'd love to get back to try to track down the roosts that these bats were coming from to check them out.
Enroute there were plenty of Northern Nailtails and Agile Wallabies around Coen and Musgrave, along with Little Red and I think Black Flying Foxes.

Spotlighting around Shipton's Flat with Charlie Roberts (of Bennets Tree Kangaroo reknown) was as enjoyable as always. Still no Long-tailed Pygmy Possums at his place, but we found a Fawn-footed Melomys, a Sugar Glider and heard a Striped Possum high up in the canopy and a Northern Quoll on the road back down towards the Lion's Den pub. There were several hundred Eastern Horseshoes in the Old Collingwood Mine just south of Rossville.

Thanks again everyone

cheers

Jon

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

  •  Visit your group "mammals-aus" on the web.

     =Unsubscribe

  •  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.