canberrabirds

Molonglo Azure Population?

To: "" <>
Subject: Molonglo Azure Population?
From: "Jack Hunter via Canberrabirds " <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2026 11:04:35 +0000
G'day folks, 

I've been casually observing the northern Molonglo river area near the water control centre for a few weeks now. I'm curious about the Azure Kingfishers I've been regularly seeing down there, specifically at Tong's Hole and the Molonglo River Crossing. Within days of one another, I have seen a pair at the Crossing and what I am quite confident is a trio at Tong's Hole. (Pictures and audio taken)  

Basically, my questions are: 

- Are these actually the same birds simply travelling up and down, or two seperate groups? Locations are roughly 1.5kms apart as the crow (kingfisher?) flys, and it seems miraculous that I just happen to keep catching them on my respective trips to these spots. (I am yet to not see them.)
- Is this generally a known area for dispersal events? Especially for winter vagrants. 
- Is the trio likely a family; two breeding adults with last season's juvenile still hanging around, or could there be two pairs and a solo?
- Is there any possibility or precedence of Azure Kingfishers breeding in the ACT? 

Apologies if these questions are a bit daft, I'm only just getting into the deeper side of birding and very keen to form an understanding of what may be happening here!

Thanks heaps, 
Jack 


This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.


Attachment: ATT00001.txt
Description: ATT00001.txt

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Molonglo Azure Population?, Jack Hunter via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] <=
Admin

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU