|
Thanks Steve and everyone else who chimed in. The consensus on the chatline and in personal conversations with Jenny Bounds and Jack Holland is that it is a Brown Thornbill call. Despite having BTs in my garden year round and hearing them almost every day,
this is one call of theirs I was not familiar with. Just goes to show that there’s always more to learn, even about species you may think you know really well.
Cheers,
John
On 27 Jun 2026, at 9:56 pm, Steve Read <> wrote:
I’d be suspicious it was a Brown Thornbill, John. Or perhaps a Silvereye doing mimicry of a Brown Thornbill?
Let the chatline know the consensus, if there is one!
On Sat, 27 Jun 2026 at 8:18 pm, John via Canberrabirds <> wrote:
I heard this call at The Pinnacle yesterday afternoon and can’t place it. A short high-pitched note followed by or merging into a trill, bit like a Brown Thornbill, but not. (There’s a Spotted Pardalote and a snatch of Superb Fairy-wren in there also.)
I got a brief glimpse of the bird flying between trees and it looked about the size of a small honeyater, but I don’t recognise this call.
--
This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.
Canberrabirds mailing list
https://lists.canberrabirds.org.au/mailman/listinfo/canberrabirds
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return
email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.
|