This whipbird as reported by Pam, is in the same small area, as the bird (or two) that has been reported (with photos, sound recordings and video)
sort of regularly, in gardens in Kambah east for at least the last 6 months. So surely is the same bird. I and others have been compiling a bit of a story (though I had not done anything about it for about 2 months).
Philip
From: Canberrabirds
On Behalf Of Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds
Sent: Tuesday, 16 June, 2026 3:18 PM
To: 'Pam Stagg' <>
Cc:
Subject: [Canberrabirds] Whipbird in Canberra
Hello Pam,
I have changed the title to what your message is about. As it happens there has been one or two Eastern Whipbirds in Kambah for several months. They
are in the area across from Sulwood drive from Mount Taylor. So in the eastern side of Kambah (I am in the western side. I have been to try to locate but not successfully.) Can you please tell us where is your home. In particular is it the same area? I have
been liaising with a couple people who have been tracking these birds for some months, hopefully to write it up.
Philip
My first time reporting on this thread, so please bear with me as I bumble my way through this, BUT I had a visit this morning from an
Eastern whipbird, to my complete surprise. I've never know them to be in Canberra, so excitedly followed it around the densely foliaged trees and shrubs in my back yard, attempting to spot it as it called and moved around the entire perimeter. I did
manage to capture it in a photo thanks to iPhone's live feature, and have some video footage which records the call but not the bird unfortunately.I'll
attempt to upload those to Canberra Nature Map.
It must have been here for at least 15 minutes, and has just returned, though the call has changed so I'm wondering if this is the female? At the end of the whip, there's
a double "weece".
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return
email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.
|